815.895.4875
Come For Relief, Explore the Wellness Lifestyle!

Headaches

Category: Headaches

Headeache got you down?

Nine out of ten Americans suffer from headaches, you're not alone.

What do you do when you suffer from a pounding headaches? Carry on? Take a pill and hope it goes away?

Research shows that spinal manipulation - the primary form of care provided by chiropractic doctors - may be an effective treatment option for headaches.

A report released in 2001 by researchers at the Duke University Evidence-Based Practice Center in Durham, NC, found that spinal manipulation resulted in almost immediate improvement for those headaches that originate in the neck, and had siginificantly fewer side effects and longer-lasting relief of tension-type headache than commonly prescribed medicine.

Headaches have many causes.  Headaches may be caused by foods, environmental stimuli (noises, lights, etc.) and/or behaviors (insomnia, blood sugar changes, etc.)Around 5% of headaches may be warning signals caused by other physical rpoblems. The other 95% are primary headaches (tension, migraine, or cluster headaches). These aren't caused by disease-the headache itself is the primary concern.

"What can I do? How can I prevent them from occuring?"

  • If you spend large amounts of time in one fixed position, such as sitting at a desk, take a break and stretch every 30 minutes.
  • Low-impact exercise may be able to help. However, if you are prone to dull, throbbing headaches, avoid heavy exercise.
  • Drink at least half your body weight in ounces everyday to avoid dehydration.
  • Avoid slouching-focus on ears over shoulders posture
  • Breathing exercises
  • Visualizations of happy times
  • Eating 5-6 small meals daily contain protein and veggie/fruit
  • Smiling one time every hour
  • See your doctor of chiropractic or naprapath for a check up

Article taken from: American Chiropractic Association, Healthy Living, Headaches and Chiropractic, 2005.

Your health affects everything you do and everyone you know.

815-895-4875

Be well, Dr. Kim



<< Return to previous page